potty thoughts

Google
Web pottypal.blogspot.com

Friday, December 23, 2005

a bug I'd love to get back..
people go sentimental over a lot of things. here I'm, setimental over a bug :D
found this bug about 4 months back (or before?) in my Nokia 1100 (which I've lost btw).. don't exactly remember when I found this bug, but this's how..

it's about 2AM and I was about to go to bed.. dont remember the day.. someone pings me thru YM coz I was logged into YM thru my cell phone.. I send a reply n I get back a response.. then I send a reply and hit Send.. after a while I get another response.. to see it I pick up my phone n see that it said "Delivered to <HER NAME>"! it disappeared just before I could make sure what I saw..
I say to myself, maybe I saw somethin else.. I write my reply again n hit send.. then a while later, I see the same delivery report again!
Nokia 1100 has this feature where u can ask it to show u delivery reports for the messages u send. it says "Delivered to <RECIPIENT>" whenever the msg is delivered..
I had kept the delivery reports on since long.. one thing I'd seen wit delivery reports was tht at times the message is sent but the delivery report is a lil delayed..

I say to myself, 'was this an old delivery report? can't be.. coz it's been around 2 months since I've sent her any message.. delivery report can't be delayed for 2 months!'
'or did I choose her no. by mistake while replyin? nope.. coz I choose to reply to the msg I had recieved, which came frm a Yahoo! server.. that can't be mapped to her no!'

just to confirm, I go to my Sent msgs folder n see the status of the msgs.. all of em say Pending, while they shud've said Delivered after I get their corresponding delivery report.. have they not been delivered? I ask the person across, r u gettin my msgs? n I get the reply, yes..
so the msgs were bein delivered properly..
or is it that the same msg is bein copied over to both of em?! can't be.. never heard of such a feature..
finally I came to the conclusion that I'm hallucinating :D.. or probably it's just coz it's too late n I shud go to bed.. so I said bye n went to bed.. but was still worried if she really got all those msgs n what wud she think if she did..

felt a lil relieved next day coz she dint complain anythin abt recievin any stupid msgs.. I thought I really was hallucinating :D
dint notice the bug next day.. but the next day evening, my brother was sendin an SMS to find cricket score n he asks me "why does it say Delivered to ....?"
hmm?! hmm! k.. I wasn't hallucinating after all! I say I dunno.. n while we're wondering if the msg was delivered to 8888, we get the cricket score, confirming that it was actually delivered to 8888..
then why did it say it was delivered to her?!

from then I started to closely observe the delivery reports n found that for abt every 8-10 msgs I send, one gives this delivery report.. in fact there wer a few days when it used to happen continuously for more than 5 msgs in a row! (abt 20 in a row bein the max I could notice :D ) initially I thought it's some stupid bug in 1100 which's pickin up some random no. out of my address book while showin the delivery report.. but no.. it was always her name!

I dunno how it was happening.. was it because my phone was filled with SMSes sent to/recieved from her? or was it somethin else?
how I wish Nokia had made their software open source.. I'd really like to go thru tht code n find out what was exactly happening.. in fact, even tho I knew I wudn't get, I searched for the source code everywhere.. beginnin from google to p2p n/ws etc... n as xpected, I couldn't get it :(

but in any case, I just loved that bug :) it gave the phone a very customized feel, as if it were specifically made for me ;) it makes me miss that phone a lot :(
I was very pissed off when someone flicked that phone :(( it's not a phone one wud usually miss.. but with somethin like this, anyone wud..
the fact is that I always avoided gettin a new phone while I had this phone, mainly coz of this bug n the msgs tht wer in the phone.. I never wanted to giv up this phone.
there wer a lot of stupid msgs in it.. records of my stupidity, I'd say :D.. neverthless, records which I'd hav loved to preserve..
but neways, now tht I've lost it, I can't do anythin.. I really wished my new phone had that bug.. I kno that's stupid, but I even tried switchin on delivery reports on the new one for abt a week, but nothin happened :(
I really miss that phone sometimes..

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home