potty thoughts

Google
Web pottypal.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Take my inn-sewer-ants, this book is worth a read..

This's about "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchett. his first in the Discworld series. it's a pretty good read, with his Discworld and it's (lunatic? weird?) inhabitants.. read it about a week back, and became a Pratchett fan with it.. some people said it's not one of the Pratchett's best.. but I liked it, and am waiting to read his best.. and expectations of course are high.. right now I was reading "The Wyrd Sisters" - 6th novel in the Discworld series, but feel like it's not as good as the first one.. But considering that I'm still about halfway (and the fickle mind that I'm), I expect my opinion to change soon..

basically it's fantasy, with lots of humour in the way Pratchett chooses to express certain things.. It gets funny when Pratchett uses certain words in pretty foreign and disconnected way (inn-sewer-ants). And it's funny whenever there's Twoflower - carefree, curious and maybe a Tourist (a.k.a Stupid when translated to the local lingo of the city of Ankh-Morpork) It's funny when Rincewind (a wizard of sorts) is scared, or is baffled by the stupidity of Twoflower (he's a tourist after all) It gets really funny whenever Twoflower's luggage - a box made of Sapient Pearwood - comes into the scene making funny expressions (which in fact are scary for the people inside the story.. it's just that you're safe outside as a reader). and btw, Sapient Pearwood is believed to follow it's master ANYWHERE he goes.. even to death ;)

it's funny to see the Discworld gods playing a dice game (and cheating in that).. so is it to see the frustration of Death and Fate.. I can go on listing (and have half the novel out here, which definitely isn't good).

One of the pretty funny snippets I can remember goes something like this..
Rincewind begins to hear voices in his head.. he thinks "I'm going out of my mind".. and the voice replies, "That's good. It's getting very crowded in here"
Not a particularly funny snippet as such, unless you read it with the flow of the story..

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home